News more »
In this section
Support the Tenants Union!
Washington State tenants have won important legal protections, but these rights don't go far enough. Members help build the movement to protect and expand tenants rights and make the promise of safe, healthy, affordable housing a reality.
The TU has won significant victories for tenants’ rights in the last 35 years. Below is a partial list of victories TU tenant leaders and members have won. See TU History for a more comprehensive list of Tenants Union work through the last 35 years.
- Seattle Just Cause Eviction Ordinance
- Statewide One-Year Notice Law for project-based Section 8 tenants
- Right to Organize Ordinance for Seattle tenants
- Seattle Tenant Relocation Assistance Ordinance
- Statewide Slumlord Accountability Act for tenant relocation
- Rental Agreement Regulation Ordinance in Seattle
Affordable Housing Preservation
- The Section 8 Tenants Organizing Project organized successful campaigns to preserve affordable housing in many subsidized apartment complexes
- Downtowner Tenants preserved their housing as affordable
- Organized the first tenant-controlled low-income rental housing in the Northwest, the Benson East Duplexes in Kent
Civil Rights & Fair Housing
- Organized with tenants at Avalon Ridge to bring a precedent-setting civil rights lawsuit to protect single mothers of color on Section 8 vouchers from eviction
Federal Policy Reform
- Mobilized to win federal legislation protecting tenants’ right to organize in subsidized housing and to protect funding for housing programs
- Leaders from the Downtowner Tenants Association set national precedent for tenants in buildings undergoing subsidy loss
Accountability for Local Policymakers
- Reform of an illegal and unfair grievance hearing process for Section 8 voucher tenants at Seattle Housing Authority in STOP’s SHA Grievance Hearing Campaign
- The Tenants Union provides resources, education and advocacy to thousands of tenants every year to know and use our rights through through the Education Program